Medical Esthetician Jordana Mattioli Names Her 8 Natural Skincare Essentials
There is an overused Coco Chanel quote that goes something like, “Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. Life shapes the face you have at thirty. But at fifty, you get the face you deserve.” It’s a little gloomy, but it reminds me of how we have the power of prevention! However old you are, it’s never too late to start practicing healthy skin habits, and washing your face morning and night is the essential cornerstone to building an effective skincare routine– and it’s also essential in preserving your skin. Plus, having a clean slate every day will let all your other lotions and potions work so much better. (And if you need a little face washing inspiration, watch this.)
Now that you are probably terrified to never sleep in your makeup again, here’s how to pick the right cleanser:
First, Remove Makeup
Maybe you don’t wear makeup, in which case: good for you! Skip to the next step.
For dissolving makeup, or even just breaking up the six layers of SPF you put on during that beach day, try using a “pre cleanse” with a cleansing oil, cleansing balm, micellar water, or a makeup wipe. They work like a magnet to dissolve anything! These can be massaged into the skin for a few seconds, then either rinsed off with water, a damp washcloth or muslin cloth. Your skin will feel a little slippery afterwards; thats normal, and you will remove all the traces of whatever makeup remover you choose with your face wash in the next step. If you prefer, makeup remover wipes are a simpler way to do this, but choose a bio-degradable one for maximum efficacy.
- One Love Organics Cleansing Oil: Enzyme enriched with gentle organic plant oils
- Kyrpis Cleanser Concentrate: So luxe! Uses co-op grown Moringa, wildcrafted Prickly Pear, and probiotics
- Muslin cloth: $32 gets you a 7-pack (one for every day of the week) of washable organic cotton and bamboo cloths
- RMS Cleansing Wipes: One ingredient: These are soaked in the ever-popular coconut oil, which has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties
- Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes: Soaked in nourishing Argan Oil, with soothing aloe vera, refreshing cucumber extract, and Vitamin E
Pick the Right Face Wash
If you have normal to oily skin, choose a cleansing gel or foam, and if you have normal to dry skin, choose a cleansing milk or lotion. There is really no wrong way to do this, just dampen the skin with room tempurature water, then massage into the skin for a minute, and rinse with water. Massaging the skin feels good and is good for you! If washing your face seems like a chore, start your routine earlier in the evening and find a product you look forward to using! Sometimes a specific smell, texture, or even gorgeous packaging could make all the difference.
For Normal to Oily Skin
- Shamanuti Activated Charcoal Cleanser: Activated charcoal absorbs impurities and maple extract gently exfoliates
- Juara Rice Facial Cleanser: Vitamin-rich rice bran and the heavenly-smelling candlenut oil cleanses, smooths and softens
For Normal to Dry Skin
- Kahina Facial Cleanser: An aloe-based milky cleanser with organic nourishing argan oil; the organic willow bark and papaya extracts also gently exfoliate.
“Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. Life shapes the face you have at thirty. But at fifty, you get the face you deserve.” — CoCo Chanel
What About Cleansing ‘Gadgets’?
Devices like the Clarisonic or Foreo can make cleansing either more fun or become more of a chore; it’s really a matter of personal preference. They both are ways to gently exfoliate your skin, which you should absolutely be doing a few times a week. If you have really sensitive skin, inflamed acne, or rosacea, skip these entirely. If you do want to use one, however, always go for the ‘sensitive skin’ model. The main difference is that the Clarisonic requires a new brush head every 3 months, where as the Foreo is a one-time purchase because it has bacteria resistant silicone nubs instead of a brush head. They can make your bathroom a little messy, so I like to use these in the shower only. If this isn’t in your budget, a gentle face scrub will have a similar effect.
Jordana Mattioli is a medical esthetician and sought-after beauty expert based in New York City. She is renowned for her facials, which you can read more about here.
Before It Gets Too Cold, Build A Winter Fort For Your Plants
How The Palm Tree Came To Southern California
What’s Your Florascope? January Edition
Read The Entirety of Red’s “Garden Metaphor” From This Season’s Orange Is The New Black
An Interview with Louis Benech, Landscape Designer Extraordinaire
The Story Behind Andy Warhol’s Flowers