GC Butternut Squash Flatbread40 min
For The Flatbread:
- 2/3 cup + 2 teaspoons white rice flour or tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 small eggs
- 1 4-oz packet active dry yeast
- Sprinkle of sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated butternut squash (optional)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup butternut squash, baked and diced
- 1 cup acorn squash, baked and diced
- 1 cup fresh pea shoots or other winter greens, loosely chopped
- Fresh basil, tomatoes, avocado, or other fresh veggies to garnish
- Drizzle of olive oil (for the squash)
- Fleur de del, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Combine flour, salt, baking powder, grated butternut squash, and yeast in a bowl. Stir to combine.
Add eggs and mix well.
Allow dough to rise for 2 hours in an oiled bowl covered with a kitchen towel, needing once at the half way point. Then, on a pizza board or baking sheet lined with parchment, form the dough into a thin crust, adding flour as necessary to prevent stickiness. (We recommend shaping the dough into a paddle to make it easier to slice horizontally– it also makes for a much more beautiful spread!)
Cover dough with tomato sauce and bake crust at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until gold brown. Remove promptly, garnish with squash, olive oil, and other fresh toppings. Enjoy while the crust is hot and the toppings are cold for maximum harvest experience.