Deck The Halls with Oranges and Cloves
Deck the halls with beautiful, sweet smelling citrus! Below is our bespoke alternative to store-bought tinsel–a traditional orange and pine garland that is both beautiful and effective at perfuming the entire home. Making garlands is a traditional wintertime activity for children (and adults) in Germany– and it’s a fun, sensory-rich way for Lil’ Sprouts to get involved with making holiday decorations. Since all the ingredients are dried, the garlands can last into the new year, keeping nature in your home through the winter months.
- Oranges (1 per garland)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Star anise
- Rosemary or pine needles
- Hypericum berries
- Winter berries
- Copper wire
- Preheat the oven to 250º F.
- Cut oranges into 1/4″ slices and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake oranges at 250º F for 4 to 12 hours.
- Measure about a foot and a half of copper wire.
- Thread the wire through the different herbs and spices, winding the wire around each several times to secure it in place. To include the oranges, thread the wire through the center of the orange and place a stick of cinnamon directly below, winding the wire several times around the middle of the stick.
- Hang horizontally or vertically throughout your home to spread fragrant, festive holiday cheer!