Apple and Fennel Gratin1 hour 15 mins
- 4 medium red apples, cut into thin discs
- 4 medium green apples, cut into thin discs
- 6 small fennel bulbs, cut into thin slices
- 1 quart coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp finely sliced ginger
- 6 leaves fresh sage
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add ginger, shallots, onions, garlic and sage leaves. Add the salt and pepper. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add the cinnamon and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
In a medium shallow casserole dish, fan out red apple, fennel, green apple in that order. Follow the pattern until the dish is filled.
Pour the coconut milk mixture over the apples and fennel. Place casserole on the middle rack of the oven, and bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow the gratin to cool to room temperature and garnish with fresh sage before serving. Dig in!