Why You Should Join An Herb CSA
Many people who are interested in health, wellness, and food are aware that Community Supported Agriculture is a great way for urbanites to get fresh, local produced delivered to their doors — but here at Garden College, we’ve discovered something even cooler: an Herb CSA that delivers homegrown tea and herbal remedies directly to your door.
Field Apothecary is a medicinal herb farm that offers organic and ecologically grown artisanal herb remedies that look, smell, and taste as good as they are fresh. Their fantastic Four Seasons Herb CSA is shipped four times a year (Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter) and consists of plants that are grown in the Hudson Valley on their upstate New York farm. There are tinctures, extracts, bitters, tonics, syrups, infused oils & salves, herbal salts, and teas — and every cool concoction focuses on the medicinal properties of the herbs. Since the plants vary depending on the season, you never know what you’re going to get; as a result, the package feels like an intimate garden goody bag, full of surprises delivered straight from Hudson Valley herb-growers.
This winter, I received my first CSA delivery just in time for the bitterness of the season to set in, right when the options at the local farmers market started to dwindle under the frost.
My Herbal CSA For Winter Included:
- 1 “Virus, Cold, & Flu” tincture made with Echinacea, Peppermint, Yarrow, and Elderberry
- 2 “Adrenal Support” tinctures made with Ashwagandha, Tulsi, Stinging Nettles, Eleuthero, and Schisandra Berry (all of which are great energy boosters)
- 1 Tin of “AntiAnxieTea” made from Stinging Nettles and Rose Hips (which are very calming)
- 1 Tin of Field’s amazing “A to Z Healing Salve” (made from beeswax, Comfrey, Calendula, and Lavender oil)
- 1 Bottle of “Rosemary Rejuvenation Mouthwash” (One of my favorite things in the world! It has the BEST taste…)
- 1 Tin of rich-smelling Chocolate Mint Tea
- 1 Tin of loose-leaf Lemongrass Chai Tea (yes, Chai and Lemongrass go together)
- 1 Bottle of “Fire Cider” (A healing combination of apple cider vinegar, Ginger, Horseradish, raw honey, and Cayenne)
- 1 lovely smelling “Deep Sleep” tincture made from California Poppy, Lemon Balm, Valerian, and Chamomile
(All of these items are shown above, from left to right.)
The best part? The CSA ships right to your door, and each liquid remedy is dissolved in biodynamic grape alcohol rather than grain alcohol (something that I’m always trying to avoid). The Apothecary also bottles all the liquids in high quality glass– not plastic– and the teas and salves come in cute metal cookie tins, which are recyclable, reusable, and beautifully-designed. Everything is made without petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, or freeze-dried “plant” substitutes, and you can smell the freshness with the twist of each cap. I love it! It’s like having a garden in your medicine cabinet.
Each season, Field changes the herbal formulations to account for changes in the growing cycle (there’s a natural allergy remedy for Spring, and specialty cocktail syrups for Summer). Those who are fans of Moon Juice in L.A. will love Field’s herbal tinctures and healing tonics, which arrive with a batch of fresh tea and healing salves just in time for winter—fresh from their garden to your home.